Friday, October 17, 2008

Rain Drops Keep Fallin' On My Head

P2220023



This big boy is a Giant Cochin. His name was Beast.










P2220011

This is Beauty with Beast.

New Sultan Pen 014

This breed of chicken is especially mild mannered and very sweet. Its like holding a big old stuffed animal. So it is especially hard for me when I find one of my buddies passed on. Early on Beast died. The breeder I got the pair from is very reputable, but says with these big birds sometimes they just die suddenly. Quite possibly heart attack. I was very upset when Beast died. It was a stroke of luck when I went to a small poultry show in Calhoun a few months later to find my friends and breeders of these birds there, with trailer in tow of birds for sale. I purchased Buckbuck and Babe, the last picture above. It was perfect. I now had a trio. I had an excellent breeding season this past Spring. I got ten healthy giant cochin babies from them, the first of which had actually come out of Beast and Beauty before he died. So much has been going on, I haven't had time to stop and talk about this.

I am sad to say I lost Beauty last week. She hadn't seemed herself for a couple of days. She was still eating and drinking, walking around fine. But she would put herself up in their pen to roost for the night too early. At least an hour before dark. That third day I found her in the pen passed on. I can't say what caused it, I just don't know. Buckbuck and Babe are still doing fine. I have a closed flock so it was nothing I could have brought into the yard. I was very disheartened over this. I do intend on buying Buckbuck two more females at the show in February. The folks that breed these beautiful birds help head up this huge show in Newnan. I can't begin to express to you how wonderful this breed is. They don't fight and fuss with each other and they will follow you like a puppy would. They are just so sweet.

Thank goodness I got a good hatch out of my breeders before she passed on. She will be missed terribly.

I guess the rain and gloomy weather has me meloncholy today and that is why I was able to sit down and take this time to talk about Beauty.

4 comments:

Gayla said...

They are certainly a very sweet breed. When hubby and I were going to do chickens, I wanted one so bad. Just to cuddle and love. I'm so sorry your lost two of them :( I know it's heartbreaking.

Take good care.
Huggers,
Gayla

Adirondackcountrygal said...

That it so sad about Beast and Beauty. I hope the new ones live longer.

Beth said...

Oh, I'm so sorry about Beauty and Beast. They're beautiful. I hope you'll have continued success with breeding the others.

Lisa said...

Awww...I am so sorry to hear about Beauty. Rest in peace sweet Beauty.

Rainy, gloomy days always get me down too.
xxxx