Monday, October 13, 2008

Oh Did I Mention?

Okay, so...I am really sick. I mean..fever, congestion, aches, pains, weak, grumpy, tired, hot then cold, then hot again,coughing, hacking, snuffling. Ian says thats what we get for going out into the unwashed masses. Ha ha. Shelby got sick the day after the fair. Sore throat came first, then came the congestion. I have had it since Friday, except mine didnt come in stages like hers. Mine decided to hit me all at once. I was just so happy about it all. :( NOT.

It is one thing to be sick, but it is another to be sick, and have to tend 2 pigs, over a hundred chickens, a horse, peachicks, dog, cat, 3 emus and 2 goats. Shelby still tended her three rabbits, even though she felt poorly herself.

I spent the whole weekend, exhausted and feeling like death warmed over, dragging myself from pen to pen with feed buckets and the hose. Did you know a hose can actually feel like it weighs a thousand pounds when dragging it? Well it can. Not to mention the feed bucket felt like a ton. It doesnt help when you are being hounded by three emus the whole time. They are very in tune with differences. For instance, when you feel like death, and you decide not to bun your hair up before going out to feed, you get your hair pulled three directions at once by three curious emus that don't know what to make of that long stuff coming out of my head. Soon they discover its not edible and move on.

Today I woke up discovering if I move around too much I start hacking and coughing until I possibly gag or lose my breath. Have you ever done that? Started a coughing fit and it slowly sucked out all the air in your lungs and you can't breath in til you are done wheezing? Scary stuff. So I am trying to sit still. Eventually though, I will have to go outside again and feed. The peachicks need fresh water and the Sultan boys need fresh water in their pen. Got to do that.

So its one thing to just be sick and be able to lay around til you feel better. Most people have to let the dog out, or feed the cat. Not here. Here its still a full days schedule. They don't care if I am sick, when they are hungry and thirsty, all they know is I am supposed to be there for them. I am, always will be. I can still sit here at the computer and whine though. Its my right.

I consider myself pretty strong when it comes to a lot of things, but when I get sick...watch out. I am the whiniest, grouchiest person you will ever meet. If you are in earshot, you will hear about every ache, every pain, and quite possibly hear me hacking and coughing to boot.

Thank goodness I went to the store early, knowing it was going to hit. That chicken noodle soup is the bomb, it really does sooth the savage beast in me. Really good stuff.

So as I sit here, I am making the rounds to visit some folks. You may have already seen me drop in today. I hope everyone is having a nice Monday and is feeling well.

8 comments:

Donna. W said...

There's a new strain of flu going around already, one that the flu shot doesn't cover. I'll bet you have the flu!

Hollie said...

Oh Kelly,
I'm so sorry that you are sick! Try to rest as much as POSSIBLE & drink plenty of fluids.

:) Hugs

Goatfarmer said...

I'm sorry to hear you are not feeling well. I know all to well how everything still has to be feed no matter what.
I hope you feel better sooon.
Terrie

Beth said...

Oh, I hope you feel better soon!

Hugs, Beth

Sage Ravenwood said...

Sorry to hear you and Shelby are still sick hon. I hope this stuff takes a hike soon. And yes, you have a perfect right to whine and complain here. I get the same way when I don't feel good. I don't like slowing down and taking it easy, being sick slows you down and I complain like the dickens about it. (Hugs)Indigo

Lisa said...

I am sorry to hear you took a turn for the worse and aren't feeling any better. I know what you are saying about things weighing a zillion pounds when you are sick. It is awful to have to plod along when feeling so bad. I had to laugh at the emus pulling your hair, I bet that was funny. I really hope you start feeling better soon.
xxx

Janie said...

I went to the doctor yester for the same thing you have. lol Feel awful!! Sure hope you feel better soon. I knew I had to go to the doctor to get over this stuff. Have a great week. Janie

MammawsDecorativeArt said...

We had the same strain of flu going around our house. I had it twice now. If I'd only been around to read this first, I wouldn't have called you today all rattled, worried and upset over stuff we couldn't do anything about today anyhow. I wish you could just rest and sleep it off. May the farm fairy come and do your chores for you.

Many thanks and passing the kleenex boxes,

Nelishia