Monday, October 20, 2008

Just Six More Days


Here is a picture I took this evening of Troy (on the right) and Eddie (on the left) munching on their supper...bermuda hay. They seem to like it more than the pellet goat food.

Thats right...just six more days and the time changes. What will I do with my time once its dark at 6:30? I guess I will find out soon enough. Even after the time changes it continues to get darker earlier and then you turn around and its dark at 6 o'clock.





In the meantime I will keep on preparing for winter around here. There is always something else to do. Just when I think its all done, I remember I have more plans. My next big project will be to take the rest of the 2 x 4s that are left leaning against the back fence and make a sturdy shelter for the emus to get into on the cold nights ahead. Emus originate from Australia. Its really HOT there. They may have come from there originally but I don't think they like the hot weather as much as the cooler weather. Even so we have some pretty cold weather come through here and I want them to have shelter against it.





Today was a little easier than yesterday. I had school to teach and Shelby had school to do so that took up part of our day. Yep I got the planner done for the week this morning too. Along with a study sheet for Science this week. While doing school I am running about cleaning up the house and folding clothes. (See the mound of folded clothes laying on my bed? No? Trust me, they are there.) After school and the house cleaning I took a quick trip up to the post office to mail a Netflix movie and my pill prescriptions off. Home again I decided to spend the rest of the evening communing with the animals and scrubbing the remaining four waterers I didnt get to yesterday before dark.





The goats...goats never learn. The spaces in the hogwire I used for their penned area are just big enough for them to put their heads through and then get stuck because their horns prevent them from pulling back through. Eddie used to do this constantly. He finally stopped and now Troy has decided to start doing it. I refuse to cut the wire because then they might actually be able to get their bodies stuck in the cut space. I stretch the wire this way and that and finally I am able to get the goats chin pushed through and the rest of the head follows. I am so tired of this. Especially first thing in the morning before I have had my coffee. SO, I have been wiring chicken wire to the outside of their fence. Why the outside? Because those clever little devils will use that wire as leverage to get a foothold and be over that fence, I just know it. In some ways they are so smart, and in others, just so so dumb. Once again I ran out of daylight and out of wire to attach the chicken wire, so I called it a day. Now I am just waiting on 9 o'clock to watch Heroes.





Ian has been clearing out the large flowerbed by the side of the house. Clearing it of ugly box hedges. Those things just filled up the bed and it already looks better now that he has pulled three up. We don't have a big tractor so he is using the most powerful thing we have to pull them up...my Dodge Ram SRT10. Now thats POWER! ;) Here is a video I took of him pulling up one this evening.





Well I lied. I thought it would be uploaded onto Youtube by now, but it turns out they are doing maintenance and its loading really slow..so I will just have to save that one for tomorrow mornings post.






I do have more pictures, but it seems in the evening traffic is heavy and slows Youtube and Flickr down a LOT, and Heroes will be on in three minutes, so I will be back in the morning. Night night y'all.


9 comments:

Robin said...

I forgot about the time change. Being born and raised in Arizona we never turned our clocks forward or back...I don't think there are many states that do that...maybe only AZ. So needless to say, I always forget about it until someone reminds me. Thanks for the reminder!

Ken Riches said...

I think the time change does not happen until November now. We need to check to see :o)

How I See It said...

I just love that chicken! Time change is Sunday, Nov 2nd. So clocks get set back the night before...my birthday, Nov 1st.

Anonymous said...

Definately Nov 2, this year hun. I htought it was NOvember this year, but everyone keeps saying OCT, just like always. I decided to sign up for the Google Calender last night & there it was first wkend in November. Sorry to be another barrier of bad news.

Bethe said...

Hehee, read my post again (my eyes are getting sooo baddd!) Did you know I was a "Barrier" of bad news?! LOL@ myself!!

hugs...

Janie said...

I never did ans. your question that you asked me one time. We don't feed our horses bermuda hay; we feed them prairie hay. Kansas has prairie hay, misture of different grass. Not as rich as bermuda hay. lol Gee I forgot about the time change. Maybe I will get caught up on my sleep, but doubt it. lol I have Gary retired to let the horses and animals out in the winter... do you want me to send him to your house? lmbo lol Oh my! I need to read about the goats to my husband! He is wanting one! Ugh! I am not. hehe Well have fun watching your TV show. Hugs, Janie

Jamie said...

I do so hate time change. As soon as I get used to it being one time, they change it again.

Tina of Moon Shine said...

Savanna saw your pic and said, "those are some hairy goats!!!" lol

Lisa said...

I didn't know the time change was coming up soon - I hate when we change the clocks. The nights seem to go on forever.

I've been slowly winterizing too but the weather is so crazy one day it is freezing and the next it is in the 70's.

I see you've got quite alot accomplished - I can't get the video to load but I am going to try again now.
xxx