Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chickens Knocking At The Door???

Good Thursday evening. Have you ever heard of a chicken knocking on the door? Well, now your about to.

Since it has turned off cold Blue and Bubba have become friends. Bubba has not been the same since he was attacked so viciously by the two mean silkie/polish cross roosters. He is very gun shy you could say. When I put Bubba back out after a few days of healing Blue took up with him. Blue was even nice to him by trying to offer him some of his pile of food I had given to Blue. You may ask how I know this was happening. There is a noise that roosters make to show the hens they have something good. He was making this noise to Bubba. This is the first time I have ever witnessed one rooster offering food to another. They are both Silver Phoenix, a very sweet and mild mannered breed in my opinion, but a rooster can still be a rooster.

They have been hanging out together in my back screened in porch for about a week now. They both sleep on top of what is normally Clydes house, but since it is so cold now Clyde has indoor quarters.

I have been throwing the bread out onto the floor since they don't seem to have any interest in leaving the porch to eat with the other chickens. I guess I was late with dinner today! I was busy sweeping the kitchen, and I hear this....noise...at the door...peck peck peck peck peck...??????? What are those two up to???

I peeked out the door window and there was Blue a few steps away from the door, looking up into the window at me. Standing right in front of the door is Bubba! I open the door and thats all the invitation they needed...in they stroll. I tell them WELL! COME RIGHT IN THEN BOYS! LET ME GET YOUR BREAD FOR YOU! :) If I didnt know any better I would think those two were conspiring, talking out there to each other...
"YOU knock, I am too chicken" "Noooo, you do it!" "No way man, YOU do it, I dare you!" LOLLL



So I did, and I gave it to them back out on the porch. I have enough house chickens thankyou. Clyde and Phoenix are my house chickens, and thats just enough.

Now I know what your thinking. Your thinking, yeahhhh right. This lady has gone and fell off her rocker. Maybe all he was doing was pecking at something he thought he saw on the door, but it sure did seem like knocking. You see, everytime that door opens lately both of them think they are supposed to come on in and make themselves at home. I know its a lot warmer in the house, and I can't blame them for trying. They sure know how to sweet talk me. ;) They always get their hugs and bread, but I tell them they just can't stay in the house. The porch is fine, but not inside the house.

If a chicken could just be litter trained...hmmm...lol. I did go back and take a good look and write down the directions on how to make this chicken diaper outfit like Chickenmom on Youtube makes for her house chickens. I got everything I need and I am going to try to make Phoenix one this weekend. I saw some really cute Christmas print material for a couple of cute Christmas outfits for him too. We will see how well I do. I just have to make this work. It will make things so much easier, and give him so much freedom around the house. If it all goes well, I will have to see about making Clyde some outfits too. :)

10 comments:

Beth said...

Kelly, LOL! Yes, I can totally believe that they were knocking at the door! Who can blame them--warmth, food, and hugs!

Beth

Paula said...

If you told me your chickens rang the door bell I would believe it.

Bethe said...

LOL~I was wondering what happens when the chickens need to go! chicken diapers--hehee. In a Christmas print...even funnier!

I think you had a real ODD COUPLE there : )

hugsss...

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Timmy...our shetland pony...used to open the sliding glass doors with his nose and just walk right on in......he loved to stand and watch TV!!!!

Hollie said...

LOL about the knocking roosters. I can't wait to see the outfits....

Helen said...

Those two roosters sound really smart to me. Helen

Skip and Vicki said...

Hi Kelly, Next you'll be tellin' us the chickens are comin' in for coffee and doughnuts in the mornin'. You always make Vick and I laugh!!! Stop by our blog and grab the award we've left for you!!Skip & Vick

Sage Ravenwood said...

I believe it! I have cats that do it. They drive Pickles crazy because she thinks there is someone at the door. The last time I went to feed the two feral strays (I only use the word feral as they can't be house cats, yet they are still friendly enough). I didn't shut the door all the way and turned around to find Grey who has never been inside a house in her life, watching me scoop out dry cat food for her. She thought it was the coolest thing to follow me back outside to get fed. The thing is after that, they tend to want to come in all the time, without an invite.

Congratulations on your Marie Antoniette award dear friend. Well deserved. (Hugs)Indigo

Ally Lifewithally said...

Kelly I really do believe those chickens knocked on your door ~ I am now just waiting to see them in their chicken diaper outfits I think that is a great idea ~ I saw on TV the other day some Ladies were knitting jumpers for chickens that had lost all their feathers after being in one of those "Battery Sheds" and they looked really cute :o) ~ Ally x

MammawsDecorativeArt said...

I saw that ChickenMom when you put the link in your old AOL journal and thought she was a bit over the top. But I held your chicken babies and they would sure be cuties with those outfits. I sure do hope you will be able to make them some.
I believe that they knocked. I think they can be about as smart as dogs though not many people know that. You have them so spoiled. Warm house, petting, and bread. Who could ask for more.
I wonder how many got the 'conversation' between the two of them... no you do it, I'm too chicken. Girl, you crack me up.
Nelishia