Tuesday, July 7, 2009

New Show Prospects

As time goes by, I am leaning more and more towards keeping more show lines than regular layers. I am always on the look out for new things. I have wanted Golden polish, and Buff polish for some time to show. You can't just go out and buy any old bird though. I was looking through Craigslist, like I always do in the farm and garden section and clicked on someone selling polish chicks. Turns out I am headed his way on Friday and I really was impressed by the pictures of the Daddys posted of these two colors of polish. The pictures were tiny, but here they are. I will be going to buy all the chicks I can of these two colors of polish. I am like a kid in a candy store I tell ya.


Photobucket
Photobucket

I will be sure to take the camera with me when I go out there this Friday to pick up my chicks.

You may or may not remember, but Babe was beat out by a guy showing Langshans at two seperate shows. She was beat out for the Champion Asiatic by the same bird at both shows. She still won Reserve Asiatic, but I am always looking to improve my game. So, searching the internet for show quality breeders I came upon a lady in Oklahoma that has show stock from the top show stock guy in Langshans. He has won in the Ohio National with his birds. That is the big big big show. Her girls have gone broody right now, but soon as they start laying again I will be buying some of those eggs from her to ship to me. It will be too late to show them this coming year, they won't have filled out enough, but I will have them ready for the following year. Here are a few pictures of her breeders of Langshan chickens.





Photobucket


Photobucket


Black Langshan Cockerel

I am going to need a trailer to pull behind me soon...lol. I am already thinking about how I need to house the chickens I am going to be showing the next year. I think there are going to be too many this time to keep them in the house. I am thinking I will be making the back screen porch into my area for keeping the ones I am showing clean through out the show season. I will just have to put up plastic over the screens to keep the wind and rain out.


3 comments:

Lisa said...

I think you need to build a "show house", just for the show birds. I'm sure you wanted to hear that, another project. LOL
xxx

Helen said...

Beautiful picture at the top. Those are some pretty chickens you are thinking of buying. Hugs, Helen

MammawsDecorativeArt said...

I agree with Lisa. You need a 'special' house just for them. Your hobby is going to turn into a career I think. Anytime someone follows their passion it always does. The pics are beautiful as always and I hope you find what you are looking for on Fri.?

P.S. Were you able to see the video of Katie's singing? She's getting so big so fast. I don't want to miss a moment of her being this little.